project humpback NS C39-8 8567

Started by Badhorse79, March 17, 2014, 08:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badhorse79

Badhorse79

Ah no worries dan I knew what ya meant  ;D

NSMoWandS

BH... if you need an extra frame... let me know. I have an athearn BB U30C frame that was going to be used for my C30-7...but, that shell was cut apart for my B36-7 project. DE Dan

Badhorse79

I appreciate it but the extra hood doors bumped up the length so I need an -8 frame ... its holing up pretty good so far

Badhorse79

Worked on modifying the sideframes some ! Had to use the old athearn U33C sidefames for this gal as I can't seem to find a good match ? So I bought details associates #2804 Hyatt roller bearings and this was the results ( used some brass wire to simulate the bolt heads ) 

8567 has exposed roller bearing on the lead axle so I dug out some details west bearing caps and filed down the factory journal to represent the new housing 

Here is a "before and after shot of the frames major improvement if I must say 

up next The front plow !!!! 
Thanks for following along hope your enjoying it as much as I am :-) 

Eric 

NSMoWandS

Nice job! I have a C44-9W(Actually is it a C44-8W with upgraded prime mover/split cooling system but with Dash-8 GSC trucks). I used Athearn GSC trucks from an old U33C. However, I did not modify the trucks. If I ever do... I will be using this as a reference. DE Dan

Badhorse79

Thanks Dan  ! This is the first loco im actually paying attention to most details my resources are limited so im learning as I go :-D

Heres the front plow I used a details west #235 plow
Added the dents and dings also

Also tried to make the buffer plate coupler pocket this ones thanks to Tony Sessions not nearly as good as his but its a start ;-)

Ill keep em coming

Eric

NSMoWandS

Nice! I usually just take the plow outside and "chuck it" down the circle to create some "damage" LOL!
DE Dan

Badhorse79

:D .... that must look real strange to the neighbors

NSMoWandS

Quote from: Badhorse79 on April 19, 2014, 06:57:12 PM
:D .... that must look real strange to the neighbors

Not really... the whole circle is nothing but weirdos...LOL! DE Dan

Badhorse79

Decided to get some brass sheets and see what I could do for the X panels! I think I came out ok ?

NSMoWandS

Nice! Are the panel already made... or did you make them yourself? DE Dan

Badhorse79

Thank ya Dan ! Made em myself .... measured them out then scored an X on the back bent the lines in along the scores and it added the popped effect then I took the tip of the xacto and barely pressed down to make the rivets!

NSMoWandS

Sweet! For soft metals like brass. Try a graphite pencil for small rivet details. If you use a soft graphite pencil (5H to 9H in artist pencils) the graphite will break and crumble before the metal gets too distorted. My HS art teacher would be so proud! LOL! DE Dan

Badhorse79

Lol I shoulda payed more attention art class !!!
Heres a few pics of the auxiliary cab that houses the dynamic breaks that I started today .... still as a lot left to go on it but im happy with the results ! The gray and black vents or from donor shells the rest is scratch built also the motors are detail associates EMD F unit fans cut to fit in the slots!

SOU91

Looks great, the C39-8 is one of my favorite "modern" locomotives. Imagine what it would look like with a high hood.  ;)
William
Modeling Southern Railway 1975-1980

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk