project humpback NS C39-8 8567

Started by Badhorse79, March 17, 2014, 08:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badhorse79

Big project going on here ...

Using a railpower C32-8 shell with the atlas D8-40C ! heavily modified trucks and a D8-40B fuel tank tons of parts ordered from 3 different places ! Shell will be getting see through dynamic break grills with "blower motors" visible "X" panels plus many other mods .... more to come

SOU91

Seeing this big GE makes me want to dig out my dad's back issue of Railroad Model Craftsman from when Ed Ryan built one.

Its not really my era but I like them.
William
Modeling Southern Railway 1975-1980

Badhorse79

Yeah I want a new copy of them 2 issues I wore the pages out in the old ones

SOU91

Quote from: Badhorse79 on March 18, 2014, 01:42:03 PM
Yeah I want a new copy of them 2 issues I wore the pages out in the old ones

If I remember correctly Carstens still has a few copies of each. I need to get a copy of each as mine are falling apart.
William

NSMoWandS

And... I just found this...

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1649103/ge-c39-8-ho-1-87-scale.html

It is based on a Conrail ordered unit with 2 vents... where NS ordered units had 3 vents.
DE Dan

NSDash9

Quote from: NSMoWandS on March 18, 2014, 04:58:03 PM

It is based on a Conrail ordered unit with 2 vents... where NS ordered units had 3 vents.

NS 8550-8563 also had two vents.  NS 8564-8663 had three vents.

Chris
Chris R. Toth

Badhorse79

Correct me if im wrong isn't 8550 and 8551 "Demo" models with C32-8 carbodies ? Dan sharpways stuff I hear is brittle stuff lol ! Sou91 im gonna go see what they have left ;-)

NSMoWandS

Chris... Thanks. Did not know NS had a couple with two vents. BH... That's why it is expensive... seems they had to make a thicker shell/pieces after a couple test prints. DE Dan

NSDash9

Quote from: Badhorse79 on March 18, 2014, 07:33:10 PM
Correct me if im wrong isn't 8550 and 8551 "Demo" models with C32-8 carbodies ?

No, the C39-8's were all longer than the C32-8. The 3200 horsepower C32-8 was powered by a 12-cylinder engine, while the 3900 horsepower C39-8 was powered by a 16-cylinder engine. Because of the different engine sizes, the C39-8 was longer than the C32-8. The C39-8 had an overall length of 70' 8" between coupler faces and a length of 43' 4" between the truck center axles, while the C32-8 had an overall length of 67' 11" and a length of 40' 7" between truck center axles. Externally, this difference in length could be seen in the engine compartment and in the fuel tank. The C39-8 had eight engine compartment doors per side and was equipped with a 4500 gallon fuel tank, while the C32-8 had six engine compartment doors per side and was equipped with a 4000 gallon fuel tank.

Chris
Chris R. Toth

Badhorse79

Badhorse79

I was looking over some prototype pics and noticed the framing for the steps compared to the model was gonna need some attention !!! The 1st pic shows the area being flat . ... 2nd pic shows the modifications made to said area ! 3rd pic is the pilot area .... had to sand down the ends because the thickness of the pilot was to thick and added the correct top step to the deck (left) the right is factory

More to come

URL=http://s270.photobucket.com/user/badhorse79/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140319_000912_zpsrrkkhljb.jpg.html][/URL]URL=http://s270.photobucket.com/user/badhorse79/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140319_000948_zps6uiy4xf9.jpg.html][/URL]

Badhorse79

fireball451

Though I hate to see and hear GE's, I really liked the hump backs.
Miss seeing them around.
Glad to see one will be "back in service"!

Michael Knight

Badhorse, does that shell have some yellow paint brushed on the inside of it and crude scribe marks on the nose panels to simulate carbody "X" panels?

Good to see you modeling and posting, btw!

Badhorse79

Good to be back !!! No yellow paint nor X panels on the nose bought this thing back in the 90s still in the railpower box until 2 years ago when I wanted to paint it up for the DM &L

NSMoWandS

thpbears

Badhorse79

Badhorse79

Got the thing looking more like a locomotive tonight ! Still a long way to go

SOU91

Coming along nicely Badhorse, can't wait to see it finished.
William

Badhorse79

NSMoWandS

Nice work so far! Have fun filling in the seams! LMAO!!! It was oh so much fun on my Southern GP59. However, I did learn that if you use putty... and let it dry for about six hours... the back of an x-acto blade allows one to etch in seams and door detail if needed. Keep up the great work! DE Dan

Badhorse79

Thanks dan ! The seems aren't to shabby i think im gonna be ok lol .... I think

NSMoWandS

LOL! I wasn't "raggin" on your seams... but, filling in where the hoods meet the walkways was very time consuming... and nerve racking!!! I was using a small plastic dowel and very tiny amounts of putty. Let dry... sand... a little more putty...let dry... sand...etc. LOL! DE Dan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk