Northern EMD's, PC and a Possum on the Central Div

Started by E.M. Bell, February 26, 2014, 07:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

The invasion of foreign power on the NS has been well documented over the past couple of months, and it seems to be getting worse every day. CP power (mostly brand new GE's) have become so common place around here that I don't even give it a Second thought anymore when I hear of one leading, but every once in a while, something from the Great White North shows up that will get your attention...like a freshly painted spartan cab SD60 and a SD40-2 paired together...now THAT is an attention getter, at least for me!  

Earlier last week, CP 6229 (a former SOO SD60) and ICE 6412 (SD40-2, former UP 3640) made a Chicago-Jacksonville round trip, and I missed it due to work.  On Sunday 02/23 they went South again on NS 295, and this time several of us managed to get out and get them. Carmon and I had spent the day before out on the CNO&TP, and had not planned on getting out at all Sunday..but that EMD duo changed that quick.  

The day started out with a couple of shots of train 376 on the Louisville District with the PC 1073 trailing (just killing time) and then ended with a short but productive couple of hours with 295.  The EMD goodness continued today ( 02/26/14) as I was on the way home from work, and heard BNSF 9592 get a track authority on the Louisville District. The 9592 is a former BN SD70Mac, still in "Possum" paint..which happens to be my favorite of the BNSF schemes. I was able to get a couple of shots with some great light as the train loped along behind another Eastbound.

You can check out everything in High Res at this link >> http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/2014rail_emb

Sunday 02/23/14

Eastbound NS 376 passes the Pig Farm at Talmage, Ky with the Penn Central 1073 trailing. The 1073 had went to Louisville the day before on 22A (also trailing) and turned right back around on the 376.

Just killing more time...Northbound Triplecrown 264 sprints through downtown Burgin, Ky on a quiet Sunday morning. I was trying to frame up a set of road wheels, rail wheels and the station sign across the tracks..not the easiest thing to pull off with such a narrow margin of error and a train running 60mph!

CP 6229 leads Southbound NS 295 as the train closes in on the yard at Danville, KY, seen here on #2 track between Sj & DV Towers on the CNO&TP

My favorite of the day...NS 295 once again, roaring down the valley at Palm, Kentucky. The forecast for Sunday had not looked very promising..rain, then snow (and mostly cloudy) but that was not the case for most of the day. When I shot this, there was plenty of sun  and it was almost 60 degrees...about 4 hours later it was 30 and snowing..

Back in Danville, and what should I run into...NS 1002 leading Northbound 174.  I grew up with NS (Southern) 1002 running out of my hometown of Lawrenceburg, KY...of course that 1002 was a little 600hp SW1. I had a lot of history with that little engine, and it (and the man who ran her) had a big impact on my first choice of careers..  It was almost surreal to see NS 1002 ( V2.0). A 4000 HP beast of a EMD that should be dam proud to carry that number on her cab sides...dam proud.

Wednesday 02/26/14

NS 376 slogs across the Louisville District at Talmage, Ky with BNSF 9592 on the point.

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

NSMoWandS

Nice shots! DME and ICE units show up all the time in Philadelphia, PA on CSX crude and ethanol trains. Glad they sent a couple your way! DE Dan

E.M. Bell

ICE seems to be a pretty regular thing on that other RR around here, but not on the NS.  This was One of the first I have seen in a long time...to bad it wasn't leading!
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Matt L

I tend to see ICE units on CSX up here in NY, usually as power for ethanol trains from the Midwest or empties returning there. I don't think I've ever seen an ICE unit on NS.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

dschlegel

I really like your shot of the Triple Crown train. Looking more closely at this shot, and letting my mind get away from me a bit, does anyone know how hand brakes are set on the roadrailers?
Thanks!
PA Dan

E.M. Bell

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

dschlegel

dschlegel

NSMoWandS

Well... not traditional handbrakes. The landing gears make good hand brakes when the train is broken down on a mountain! LOL! DE Dan

dschlegel

Quote from: NSMoWandS on March 02, 2014, 01:25:06 PM
Well... not traditional handbrakes. The landing gears make good hand brakes when the train is broken down on a mountain! LOL! DE Dan

Funny stuff Dan!

That's sort of what made me ask the question though. What do the crews do when they need to set out a bad trailer or wheel set on the road? Do the drop the landing gear to hold the offending trailer and wheel set in place or chock it or is there another procedure?

Thanks again!
PA Dan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk