Abandoned rathole division

Started by niki71, January 01, 2014, 01:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

niki71

Hi everyone,  I'm really new to this site but I have read almost everything you all have posted about these tunnels. I have been to a few(13,14,16,24?)  I really just wanted to find out specifics on the others, like best way to access  some of them.  I also has seen a question of debate about 14 and if it was the actual tunnel. I think I have a photo that will clarify that. I have a hard time reading it but I think it say s. end  tunnel 14.  it looks really close to the one currently standing.

butch

Correct, the pic is from the Louis Edward Nollau collection at UK.  It's Tunnel 14 looking north; it looks like they are starting the double-track project that by-passed T13 and T14 and rerouted the creek there.

Sounds like you are in TN, if you've been to Nemo.  The new T22 & T24 and the abandoned T23 & T24 [and T22] are there.  If you want to explore in KY, T2 is at Kings Mtn., T3 & T4 are at Burnside, T5 is off the Cathy Crockett rail trail, and the Alpine picnic area will get you to the T6 cut and T7-T8-T9 if you don't mind a little hike.  The south half of T11 is down in a swampy cut at Parkers Lake and T12 is off an access road just north of Wiborg.

Tours are available by appointment.   :)
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk