Author Topic: Vintage shortline power... including rare NKP and CR survivors  (Read 3158 times)

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
  • Norfolk Southern fulfills what DERECO started.
Vintage shortline power... including rare NKP and CR survivors
« on: December 20, 2013, 05:51:03 PM »
The weather last weekend was very cold and snowy... but I ventured out into the elements to catch some shortline action.

Most of the day was spent chasing the Livonia, Avon & Lakeville RR. Alco Century #425 led the inbound local "hammerhead" style when I intercepted the train at Erie Station Road in West Henrietta. It should be noted that #425 is ex-Conrail #2457 and the sole survivor of NH's C425 fleet.

The tail end of local crosses the Genesee River at Brighton, NY.

Apparently, Mother Nature felt we didn't have enough snow because it started to fall again while this Rochester & Southern RR local (powered by an SW1500 and a chop nose ex-N&W Geep) was working in the Brooks Avenue Yard in the Town of Chili.

The snow continued to fall as the LA&L shoved into the Brooks Avenue Yard in Chili. The cut of freight cars being pushed by the Alcos would be delivered to NS (via the R&S) that night.

Some of you may recognize this location from a previous chase I posted of the R&S. It is the Paul Road crossing in Chili. The LA&L uses this section of track to run from Genesee Junction to the Brooks Avenue Yard. It is good spot to see vintage EMD or (as seen here) Alco power.

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 12/13/2013 in Monroe County, NY. All rights are reserved.     

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
Re: Vintage shortline power... including rare NKP and CR survivors
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 05:59:03 PM »
Now, what about that other Alco tucked in behind #425? The trailing unit is LA&L #418. She was built as NKP #866, and the sole survivor of the Nickel Plate's RS36 fleet. Number 418 led the return trip.

Mortimer Junction is where the LV Rochester Branch used to connect to the NYC West Shore. The LA&L took over the ex-LV stub from Conrail in 1996.

Further south, the short local crossed East River Road on the former Erie RR Rochester Division. This section was also included in the sale to the LA&L in 1996.

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 12/13/2013 in Henrietta, NY.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 06:07:01 PM »
Further south, LA&L #s 418 and #425 come off the Barilla Pasta spur after dropping off a few hoppers. This place always smells like a giant bowl of noodles... yum.

The LA&L local prepares to depart the former Erie RR/EL yard.

The final shots were taken at the crossing for Routes 5 & 20 as the train headed out of town. The RS36 and C425 had that familiar Alco purr as they pulled away.

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 12/13/2013 in Avon, NY. As always, a big thank goes out to the LA&L crew for their professionalism and courtesy. This shortline takes excellent care of their Alcos, so I think we'll be able to enjoy them for many years to come.   8)

Offline dschlegel

• Old Head
  • Beer+Trains=Happiness
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 04:20:06 PM »
As usual, this is a great series of shots and coverage of operations.

Mother Nature sure did hit us hard the past couple of weeks, but is treating us much nicer today. I think we had four snow and snow/ice events that accumulated a little over a foot total here in eastern PA, but today was partly sunny and about 50 degrees, much nicer.

Thanks for braving the snow and for posting Matt!
PA Dan

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 08:36:46 PM »
You're welcome, Dan. The roads were a little dicey because the plows and salt trucks were slow to respond. (They are usually pretty quick up here.) I didn't feel comfortable driving faster than 40 mph, even though parts of East River Road have posted speed limits of 50-55 mph. I think the LA&L operates at a speed of 20-30 mph, so it was still possible to chase in the middle of a howling snowstorm.

Like you, NY has been been getting pounded by bad weather since last month. We had warm temps up here over the weekend, so most of the snow has melted.  8)

Of course, trains are just a hobby for us. It's gotta be tough working on the RR during the winter. 

anything