December 2013 Photo Contest

Started by JCagle, December 04, 2013, 12:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vote for your favorite 2 images.  The poll will be open for 5 days.

callduckfarm:  CR 8098 on 12T
1 (5.3%)
callduckfarm:  Portage Bridge 13T
5 (26.3%)
callduckfarm:  Wabash 1070 on 13T
0 (0%)
NSMoWandS:  23K Horseshoe Curve
3 (15.8%)
NSMoWandS:  Cresson PA
0 (0%)
NSMoWandS:  204 @ Harrisburg PA
1 (5.3%)
trainchaser2:  Reading 1067
1 (5.3%)
trainchaser2:  Southern 8099
1 (5.3%)
trainchaser2:  NY Central 1066
0 (0%)
dschlegal:  Reading Line Neighbors
1 (5.3%)
dschlegal: Dreibelbis Cemetery
0 (0%)
dschlegal:  Macungie, PA
2 (10.5%)
JHood 4501:  Buford, GA
1 (5.3%)
JHood 4501:  Southern 8099
0 (0%)
JHood 4501:  630 Trenton, GA
1 (5.3%)
chipallen16:  Inman Yard
1 (5.3%)
chipallen16:  Honoring our Veterans
2 (10.5%)
chipallen16:  630 @ Chattanooga
1 (5.3%)
EM Bell:  NS 951 @ Danville, KY
1 (5.3%)
EM Bell:  NS 197 @ Parkers Lake, KY
3 (15.8%)
EM Bell:  765 @ Mardenis, IN
7 (36.8%)
KY & IN Terminal RR:  Heritage 8104
0 (0%)
KY & IN Terminal RR:  Heritage 1065
0 (0%)
KY & IN Terminal RR:  Emporer of the South
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: January 10, 2014, 04:48:34 PM

JCagle

It is hard to believe we are already closing in on the Holidays and the end of the year. The month of December is always a good time to look back at the past year and reflect on the memories of the year. Following the reflection thread the December contest is themed Favorites of 2013. Since it could be hard to decide between a whole year's worth of shots we will open this contest up to 3 entries per user. All of the rest of the typical rules apply. We will take entries until December 29th. Feel free to message or email with any questions.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

callduckfarm

I'll start with CR 8098 on 12T on 5/16/2013.

callduckfarm

My favorite Portage Bridge photo of 2013, of 13T on 10/4/2013.

callduckfarm

My Christmas present from NS, the Wabash 1070 on 13T at Horseheads, NY on 10/26/2013.

NSMoWandS

Seems all my favorite photos were taken in December! LOL! First up... Here we see the two SD40E helpers on the rear of 23K as they descend Horseshoe Curve in Altoona, PA. DE Dan

NSMoWandS

Next up... 3 SD60I's struggle to get the loaded coal train up the West Slope at MO in Cresson, PA. There were 4 SD40E Helpers on the rear giving it all they got! DE Dan

NSMoWandS

And lastly... as the name of the contest is "Reflections"... Here we see Intermodal Train 204 crossing the old Reading RR Lurgan Branch Bridge in Harrisburg, PA. The sun was shining and the ice in the river had the water's speed down... enabling me to get the train's and the bridge's reflection! DE Dan

Gage O'Dell

Photo 1: Reading 1067 leads NS 55A under the signals at Norwood 7/28/13

Photo 2: Southern 8099 leads NS 56X by the searchlights at Bowen 10/3/13

Photo 3: In the dead of night, New York Central 1066 sits in the lead of NS 143 in Danville Yard 11/13/13

dschlegel

I don't know how much of chance I have but here we go.

First up is a group of Reading Line Neighbors, the Burkholder family, watching a westbound manifest at the west end of Topton, PA on April 7th, 2013. A little known fact is the most of the Mennonite farmers around here are railfans, and some can even recite locomotive models based on roster number alone, going back to the steam days on the Reading!

The second is a photo I took at the east end of Fleetwood, PA on the Reading line at Dreibelbis cemetery. Note the date that the first Dreibelbis came to America! The train was an eastbound and the photo was taken on June 2, 2013.

Last, a westbound manifest is about to knock down the 26.1 signal in Macungie, PA on the Summer Solstice, June 21, 2013 at 7:32 in the AM. Enjoy!
PA Dan

JHood4501

Here's mine favorites from the year, two of which came during the summer months before my move to Texas.

1) A loaded rail train, behind a lone SD40-2, passes the statue of Roy Rogers & his horse Trigger in downtown Buford, GA on a humid June afternoon.

2) Southern 8099 returns to Chattanooga for the first time since receiving the commemorative paint scheme, seen crossing Ten Bridge in late July evening light.

3) And lastly, from the March Chattanooga to Attalla excursion: 630 puts on a steam show in the crisp winter air after a service stop in Trenton, GA.

Hope y'all enjoy!

Jordan
Jordan Hood

chipallen16

As a note, I tried posting these as attachments but kept getting errors that the filesize was too big, though I ensure to upload photos that were under 2000KB. So, here they are...

1) An intermodal train comes to a stop at Inman Yard in Atlanta with the Midtown and Downtown skylines looming in the background. Inman is now an intermodal yard, where consumer products in trailers are brought in, classified by location, and shipped to other cities or to distribution centers in the Southeast.

2) NS 154, led by NS SD60E 6920, the "Honoring Our Veterans" unit, meets southbound 237 at the new CP Lula in Lula, GA.

3) SOU 630 starts off the "Attalla Autumn Adventure" running down the TVRM Belt Line, or NS East Industrial Lead in Chattanooga.

Enjoy!
-Chip  :)

E.M. Bell

NS 951, a Southbound OCS Deadhead, passes the searchlight signals at "Old Jerry's" on the North end of the yard at Danville KY on a foggy June 7th, 2013. This was shot around 0630 in the morning, and was the start of a chase all the way to Chattanooga. For the record, this is my 2nd personal favorite of the year.

NS 197 powers South through a strong summer thunderstorm at Parkers Lake, KY with the Southern 8099 leading on July 21st

My personal favorite of the year (and probably the luckiest shot of the year)... Eastbound 765 on the old Wabash at Mardenis, Indiana October 26th.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR

Here's a few of mine, the first two are heritage shots, the last one is new signals, old power and old friends.
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

Forum Admin

We had a very good turnout for this contest with twenty-four images submitted.  The poll is now open you may vote for you favorite 2 images.  Voting closes Friday, January 10.  Good Luck everyone.
The JREB.org team

Forum Admin

Congratulations to E.M. Bell for his winning image, NKP sunset at Mardenis, Indiana! 

Stay tuned for the next contest, the topic will be announced soon. 
The JREB.org team

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk