Nemo Tunnel Update (& A Thank You!)

Started by NSyorktown, November 17, 2013, 07:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NSyorktown

I've updated some of the progress on my CNO&TP layout recently (link below).

But this memo is to thank RailfanTerry for the illustration of the face of the Nemo Tunnels.

His CAD drawing of the tunnel face was a life-saver: http://www.jreb.org/ns/index.php?topic=14515.0

Attached are some updated images on my layout:

1) I had gotten a lot of images off the Internet, but the true size of the tunnel face and three openings still confused me.  That changed, due to a dimensioned CAD drawing, which made it easy to cut an exact version with the laser cutter at school.  In the lower left is the plastic cut-out with some of the images I had captured off the Internet for reference purposes.

2) The south face of Nemo Tunnel complex now looks pretty good in place.

3) Pieces of the bridge are shown dry-fit in place (and notice the surprise heritage unit on the bridge!).

4) These are the pieces and parts needed for the Emory River site: railing and walkway, concrete legs (painted an Aztec yellow shade), and weathered side panels.

5) The tunnel face is shown with the inside panels, so it is about ready to be air-brushed concrete gray.

Note: Other images of my layout are at this thread . . . http://www.jreb.org/ns/index.php?topic=15112.0

RailfanTerry

Looking good, i had my son cut mine out of wood as he's in the CAD class, I'll get some updated photos of the tunnels next time I'm at the club he did a great job cutting them out for me here a few photos from my phone if they will load
Shot of Nemo tunnel

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

RailfanTerry

One more

thpbears

dschlegel

RailfanTerry

Here an up dated shot from today

NSyorktown

It has been a very productive Holiday so far . . . . as I've been making a lot of progress on my CNO&TP layout.

I've been taking pics of various sites around the layout, including an almost complete tunnel portal.

Attached are three images of the Nemo Mountain tunnel #22 entrance.

Pics #1 (on the front concrete pouch) and #2 (on the concrete driveway) are in bright sunlight.

Pic #3 was shot indoors with flash, against the brown-ish carpet in my train room.

I used a sharp knife to score the expansion joints on the face.

Using concrete paint, the air-brushed portals match the appearance of "real" concrete pretty well.

Weathering chalks were used on the front face and inside to add texture.

E.M. Bell

Man, that is going to look Great!  You nailed the look except for the never ending stream of new "urban art" that seems to appear down there all the time.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

thpbears

dschlegel

RailfanTerry

Been busy just now getting around working on Nemo Tunnels. Here a shot from the weekend of the work.  We need to add more lights to light everything up as we now have bench work over the Nemo Tunnels

Terry

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk 2

thpbears

NSyorktown

leroy

I like it...!! Whadda gonna run thru it...?   I like the SD45's and SD35's with radio cars myself... Cant wait to see the trains runnin thru the tunnel down the hill.....

Keep up the good work....
leroy
leroy

NSMoWandS

Nice work on the tunnels(and nice job your son did with the CAD)! For the lights... Are you going to use regular lights or those new LED strip lights? Just curious... I see a lot of people going the LED route...
DE Dan

RailfanTerry

Were going to use the LED strip lights.

I'm working on the Bridge now for Nemo. anyone now how tall this bridge is so I don't have to guess at it.
Here a photo of the benck work going on Nemo is the bottom bench work with the cut out for the bridge.

Thanks everyone I'll keep the updates coming as we move along

Terry

NSyorktown

Terry:

About the length and height of the bridge over the Emery River at Wartberg, TN (i.e., coming out of Tunnel 22), I'm sure someone on this forum knows for sure.

But for a set of useful resources, here are the track charts for NS:

http://www.multimodalways.org/archives/rrs/NS/NS%20Track%20Charts/NS%20Track%20Charts.html

I just pulled up the Central District chart from 2007, and on page 183 (printed #), you'll find the details for that area.  The bridge is listed as: 244.90-BDGO-450' (96) along the right-edge of .pdf page #192 in this file.

That would be mile marker 244.90 of the CNO&TP and the length of 450 feet.  I'd guess the height is 96', but that is a pure assumption (which seems ballpark to me).

RailfanTerry

Thank you for that info, That's what I'm looking for

Terry

NSTopHat

Quote from: NSyorktown on August 30, 2014, 07:21:09 AM
Terry:

I just pulled up the Central District chart from 2007, and on page 183 (printed #), you'll find the details for that area.  The bridge is listed as: 244.90-BDGO-450' (96) along the right-edge of .pdf page #192 in this file.

That would be mile marker 244.90 of the CNO&TP and the length of 450 feet.  I'd guess the height is 96', but that is a pure assumption (which seems ballpark to me).

The (96) actually refers to the last date that the bridge was re-decked, which would be 1996.

Regards,
Russ

NSMoWandS

It appears that from the bottom of the girders to the water is about 75-85 feet... depending on water level. Hope this helps. DE Dan

RailfanTerry

Yes I'll take all the help I can get. I'm trying to get it as close to scale as I can.

Terry

NSyorktown

Terry: To simply share details, this thread back a few years got interesting . . . . and pretty informative!

http://www.jreb.org/ns/index.php?topic=13558.msg47654#msg47654

My entry (#2 in the chain) has some links to some close-up views that might help with your modeling work.

Rich

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk