CNO&TP In HO Scale, An Update

Started by NSyorktown, September 02, 2013, 09:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NSyorktown

I can't believe it's been 4 years since I last posted pics of my "Rathole Division" layout . . .

http://www.jreb.org/ns/index.php?topic=6788.0

I have been busy with work and family, so progress on the layout did slow a bit over the past few years.  Anyway, it's time to post some pictures of my recent efforts.

A refresher, here is the original layout (see the view of my Kings Mountain vista in Pic #1 below).  In mid-2009, I ripped out the entire layout to allow for the re-carpeting of the layout room plus some patching and then re-painting of the walls.  On the layout, really I wanted to re-do my Kings Mountain scene, since the rock walls were too short (see the low walls the rear of Pic #1).  So I've also posted pics of about 40% of the layout in the garage (which is all I had saved), then those sections back in place in my train room.  Obviously the layout arrangement was updated as well.

NSyorktown

The next challenge was to make a mold to help re-form the walls of the Kings Mountain scene.  I used ceiling tile to create the rough template for the rock walls.  The layers of tiles had to tilt in to adequately produce the slant of the high walls.

In Pic #2, the cork roadbed is in place, but you can tell the east wall hasn't been filled-in yet (it's too far away from the right-of-way, as shown in this photo).

I screwed the ceiling tile mold into place, and made sure to coat the inside surfaces with mold release (then added plaster).  I did make the plaster a little run-ny, so it would fill down into the entire void.

The final pic shows the ceiling tile removed (after about 3 days of dry-time) with a desired rough rock face on both side of the Kings Mountain cut.

NSyorktown

Finally, with the rock formations on the east and west walls of KM, I painted the rock walls and added scenery to the scene.  Acrylic paints are used to add the gray and rust shades to simulate the rock surfaces.  Since I model a summer-time scene, I added a lot of dark green over-growth to the area.

With this "new" scene, the higher walls look more realistic and numerous trees, bushes, and tall grasses make this region of my layout look like the rugged KY back-country.

I should point out that another addition was the south entrance of the old tunnel (shown at left in Pics #1 and #2).  While the opening isn't visible to those who drop by the "real" Kings Mountain in central Kentucky, most railfans know that it is there.  A note of thanks: Mr. Bell's close-up helped me tremendously when planning out and creating this scene: http://jreb.org/v-web/gallery/albums/album28/NS229KIngsMTKY_021502.jpg

NSyorktown

Bottom-line, from Fall 2010 . . . . until Summer 2013, the layout has changed a bit!

Badhorse79

That is simply to awesome ! Very nice work

thpbears

I remember your last post. Time flies. This new layout is breathtaking.

NSMoWandS

Very nice indeed! I really like that SD70M-2 shot!!! DE Dan

NSyorktown

Quote from: NSMoWandS on September 04, 2013, 03:43:22 PM
Very nice indeed! I really like that SD70M-2 shot!!!
Thanks for all the comments, everyone!  I really like that #2684 unit in the photographs, with full DCC sound and lights.

I did get an Intermountain Southern heritage unit yesterday . . . . so spent part of the day trying to find a photo of the real #8099 at Kings Mountain.  But, no luck.  Mr. Bell has some the Southern power from the 1st and (I think) 3rd districts, but not at KM.  No one else has posts on the Internet, either, that I could locate.

This weekend, I'll stage a pic, probably with an empty autorack train behind the heritage power (since we have those unit trains go by almost daily up this way, both directions).

fireball451

Great pic with the 70M-2.
Looks awesome!

NSyorktown

As mentioned above, NS #8099 did make its planned run with a unit train of empty autoracks this evening.

This is the Intermountain model in HO scale (the unit is very, very nice!).  It's fresh out-of-the-box.

I do need to borrow some studio lights to get some better images, as the reflection on the windshield is from my track lighting immediately above the Kings Mountain scene.

SOU91

That looks good. It just needs to be turned around to run the proper way.  ;)
William
Modeling Southern Railway 1975-1980

E.M. Bell

VERY nice..that scene has improved since you first showed us it to us!  Its got to be hard to try to capture the feel of that area in a small space, but I think you have done well!  Add a signal bridge with some searchlights at the top of the hill, and you will have it licked :)

After reading your comments above, I went and looked on Pbase and to tell the truth, I don't think I have shot ANY of the Heritage motors in the cut yet. Seems like the timing is all wrong with the light when they run through here. The Southern unit is one that I would like to get there for sure.. 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Ladderpipe

Sweet stuff. It's always good to see a layout with scenery. With the focus I place on locos, I'm not sure I will ever get past the snow (aka: plaster) appearance. What radius is that curve?

NSyorktown

Whoops, sorry . . . . just saw the last item in your memo.

The minimum radius on the entire layout is 32".

From that point, the curve goes on southward past Science Hill, KY and toward the KY / TN border.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk