Author Topic: A fun detour... and a new girl comes to the dance.  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
  • Norfolk Southern fulfills what DERECO started.
A fun detour... and a new girl comes to the dance.
« on: July 10, 2013, 07:59:58 PM »
Sorry about the delay in posting this pictorial- I've been busy with photographing several rock bands, including a certain juke box hero who hails from my necks of the woods.

Anyway, this was a fun chase day involving both NS and in interchange partner I have been chasing since 1976- the Bath & Hammondsport RR. The day began at the B&H yard in Cohcoton. The train had already departed, but Alco S1 #5 was parked outside the engine house.

I had a hard time finding the B&H local, so I decided to head to the Corning area, since I knew they'd interchange with NS there. That was a good choice, since I found several DuPont cars there. A couple of locals have informed me that NS and several local fire departments had been using the DuPont cars for practice drills. They were parked at Gang Mills.

Guess what else I saw? Owing to a derailment on the CSX Chicago Line, they were detouring a few trains on NS's Southern Tier Mainline. Express freight L090, a joint UP/CSX operations that runs between the West Coast and the Port of Albany (NY) came through the area late in the morning. I caught the train at the State Route 352 overpass in Gibson.

After L090 passed, I returned to the NS yard at Gang Mills, where local power was assembling lcoal H77.

12T also arrived in the early afternoon, and worked the other end of the yard at Gang Mills.

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 6/28/2013 in Steuben County, NY.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 10:26:48 PM by Matt L »

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
  • Norfolk Southern fulfills what DERECO started.
Re: A fun detour... and a new girl comes to the dance.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 08:13:22 PM »
Now, here's the reason I chose the B&H for my chase. They acquired an RS18 from the Owego & Hartford RR last year, and the MLW recently made her debut on the B&H local. I found #416 sitting on the wye at Painted Post, along with C424M #423.

The B&H crew had dropped off their consist,so NS sent out H77 to fetch it. This is Chemung Street in Painted Post.

BTW, a heavy thunderstorm rolled in just as H77 headed back to home turf. This is the Hamilton Street crossing in Painted Post.

The B&H local came off the wye and headed west in a toorrential downpour. This is also Hamilton Street in Painted Post.

I headed west, too... and got out from under the storm to catch the B&H on the former DL&W main (later EL Wayland Branch) in Campbell. I'm sure N&W, Southern and EL will agree the running long hood forward is fun to watch.

The tail end of the B&H local apsses the old Lacakwanna depot in Campbell.

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 6/28/2013 in Steuben County, NY. I hope y'all have liked this pictorial. As always, a big thank you goes out to the employees of the B&H for their friendliness and professionalism.

If anyone wants to see the rest of my photos from that day, or the rest of June, please visit:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/library/2013/June%202013?sort=2&page=1

Enjoy!

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 10:26:20 PM by Matt L »
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.