NW, and original NS in Durham, NC

Started by SOU91, June 28, 2013, 03:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SOU91

I was wondering what all NW and the original NS served in Durham,NC. I know that NS had a line to the American Tobacco factory. They also had a little yard shared with the Durham and Southern. I also know that the NW line is embargoed now past the Chandler redi mix cement plant.
William
Modeling Southern Railway 1975-1980

ARandall70

Durham was served by five roads:

The North Carolina Railroad(Southern) from Greensboro, NC to Goldsboro, NC
>>The Southern also had tracks that went north from Durham to Butner and Oxford, then on to Virginia
The Norfolk and Western from Lynchburg, VA
The Seaboard Air Line from Henderson, NC
The Durham and Southern to Dunn, NC
The Norfolk Southern from Duncan, NC(served the Tobacco district and had rights on the Durham and Southern)

Today, a lot remains. The NCRR is the Norfolk Southern H-line, seeing manifest, bulk trains, and Amtrak/NCDOT's Piedmont and Carolinian. It is a CTC-controlled line.

Norfolk Southern also operates the line to Oxford as their D-line. There is a local train and unit ballast trains that run to Carolina SunRock at Butner.

As you said, the Norfolk and Western is pretty much abandoned in place.

The Seaboard line served little purpose after SCL bought the Durham and Southern, but part remains as the CSXT Joyland Lead. CSXT also operates the Durham and Southern.

Southern had no need for the Norfolk Southern Railway line from Duncan to Durham(it already had the H-line), so it was abandoned. Today it is a rail trail.

Anthony Randall
Fuquay-Varina, NC
www.youtube.com/user/ARandall70

SOU91

Quote from: ARandall70 on June 28, 2013, 04:37:48 PM
Durham was served by five roads:

The North Carolina Railroad(Southern) from Greensboro, NC to Goldsboro, NC
>>The Southern also had tracks that went north from Durham to Butner and Oxford, then on to Virginia
The Norfolk and Western from Lynchburg, VA
The Seaboard Air Line from Henderson, NC
The Durham and Southern to Dunn, NC
The Norfolk Southern from Duncan, NC(served the Tobacco district and had rights on the Durham and Southern)

Today, a lot remains. The NCRR is the Norfolk Southern H-line, seeing manifest, bulk trains, and Amtrak/NCDOT's Piedmont and Carolinian. It is a CTC-controlled line.

Norfolk Southern also operates the line to Oxford as their D-line. There is a local train and unit ballast trains that run to Carolina SunRock at Butner.

As you said, the Norfolk and Western is pretty much abandoned in place.

The Seaboard line served little purpose after SCL bought the Durham and Southern, but part remains as the CSXT Joyland Lead. CSXT also operates the Durham and Southern.

Southern had no need for the Norfolk Southern Railway line from Duncan to Durham(it already had the H-line), so it was abandoned. Today it is a rail trail.

I actually work for Carolina Sunrock. I've seen the ballast train loaded out a few times. There are also two companies that gets tank cars. The old SOU Clarksville line is in decent shape all the way to the Certinteed plant in Oxford.
William
Modeling Southern Railway 1975-1980

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk