Altoona 1978

Started by AFT2101, May 21, 2013, 06:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFT2101

I snapped this shot in 1978. It is one of many locomotives that were sitting in the "scrap line", in Altoona Pa., soon to be disposed of...cut up etc.. A elderly RR employee did approach me, and after a few questions he took me on a personal tour of all the scrap/junk units. We spent about 2 hours walking around, looking at and climbing into old deisels. I really enjoyed it.

dschlegel

Very neat! Do you have any shots of the EL Alco behind this F unit? I'd love to see them.

As an aside, I rode the Broadway through there in July of 89 eastbound and vividly remember lots of fallen flags paint jobs in the scrap lines including a Brunswick green ex Reading GP7!

Dan

AFT2101

Quote from: dschlegel on May 21, 2013, 09:22:08 PM
Very neat! Do you have any shots of the EL Alco behind this F unit? I'd love to see them.

As an aside, I rode the Broadway through there in July of 89 eastbound and vividly remember lots of fallen flags paint jobs in the scrap lines including a Brunswick green ex Reading GP7!

Dan

I will look thru my collection and see what I have. I remember taking many pictures that day, but I have about 800-1000 slides and negatives from that era and it may take some time.

AFT2101

Here is one of themany Erie units sitting there that day.

dschlegel

Very neat, thanks! If you find more I'd love to see them.
Dan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk