Southern Heritage on the NS Louisville District

Started by CarmonH, April 30, 2013, 06:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarmonH

Saturday April 19th, The Southern heritage unit 8099 made its first trip leading a train over the NS Louisville District, on the point of Eastbound 23G.  It was a day a lot of people had been waiting for, and another day that I could have slept a little longer, stayed closer to home  and STILL got my best shots of the day!

We started out early and headed to Louisville, but as you have probably already read here and other places, the heritage curse struck again, and 23G ran much later than normal. We didn't really get any good light until the train got towards Danville late in the afternoon, but we stayed with it and did what we could. This time around, the early bird got to wait for hours, and the night owl got the worm :)

You can find larger versions of the images below, at the link.  http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/ns13clb

Leaving the siding at East Tucker Ky, after what seemed to be an eternity of waiting and Westbound trains to meet.

Crossing Pope Lick bridge near Fisherville Ky.  This was a grab shot, as we had not interned to shoot here in my husbands "Master Plan"  I rarely listen to the plan, because it is not often followed.

With both of us cursing the poor light, we skipped ahead about 40 miles and settled in for a nice long wait just 4 miles from home, at Vanarsdale Ky. I could have stayed at home until 3 or 4pm, made a easy slow drive here, got my shots and went home happy!

After getting our shots at Vanarsdale, 23G would again get delayed to meet more Westbounds at Talmage. While this was going on, Eb drove around to the usual spots, knowing ahead of time the sun was not even close to right, muttering and cussing. We shot Westbound 224 at Harrodsburg, then drove around some more while he muttered and cussed the light. I finally suggested going to Bellows Mill, just East of Harrodsburg where I knew the light would still be decent. Soon enough, 23G showed up and my last shot of the day was on the memory card.

As a bonus, here are a couple of other moves we caught during the day. First up is Eastbound coal train 796, meeting 22A at Waddy Ky early that morning. Double Stacks and Coal, the staples of traffic around here.

Westbound 224 at Harrodsburg Ky. This was late in the day.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk