Main Menu

GP59E on hold

Started by Badhorse79, March 31, 2013, 11:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badhorse79

Well after looking at the pics on chris' page,  I think NS lengthened the frame .... everything behind the cab has gotten longer!!! And there's a gap between the front truck and tank.  Unless I find a frame stretcher it may not happen !

NSDash9

They didn't lengthen the frame.  The new "admiral" cab/low short hood were installed forward from their original location due to a larger electrical cabinet.  The length of the low short hood was shortened to make up the difference.

As to the gap between front truck and fuel tank, the former demo units were built with 3,100 gallon fuel tanks, as compared to the 3,500 gallon tanks on the NS production units.

Chris
Chris R. Toth

Badhorse79

Thanks Chris I just spent the last hour racking my brain and I got it all measured .... 5 cups of coffee free ...2 Advil 2.39 getting the GP59E Drawn up on easter while the family argues about tater salad priceless. ! Happy easter all

thpbears

I thought only we argued of tatar salad. Thats funny. Happy Easter.

Badhorse79

Lol thanks bears!  Well here's all I can do till I can see the other side ! This thing is driving me insane so I need the break! 

NSMoWandS

Badhorse79

fireball451

When it drives you nuts, just do what I do. Put it back on the shelf and get out one of the 15 other projects.....

NSMoWandS

Quote from: fireball451 on April 01, 2013, 09:36:32 PM
When it drives you nuts, just do what I do. Put it back on the shelf and get out one of the 15 other projects.....

I think "15" is low balling it... LOL! Dan

Badhorse79

The revolving door .... finish 1 thing plan and start 5 more !

fireball451

Quote from: NSMoWandS on April 01, 2013, 09:56:01 PM
Quote from: fireball451 on April 01, 2013, 09:36:32 PM

I think "15" is low balling it... LOL! Dan

That is just diesel projects
Got plenty of steamer on the project pile too!
Not to mention the freight cars, passenger cars, etc, etc.....

Badhorse79

Took some time today and worked the other side assumed as much as possible

NSDash9

Badhorse:

Are you going to correct the size of the engine compartment?

Chris
Chris R. Toth

Badhorse79

I might as well ! I have to replace the whole back pilot as this loco to a dive off the layout!  The good thing is its a GP50 so shouldn't be to bad !

Badhorse79

Worked a lil on the dynamic Break section ! Now its to the doors!

NSMoWandS

Nice! Just a question for you or Chris... what changes to the engine compartment were made when they are rebuilt? Dan

NSDash9

No changes to the engine compartment when rebuilt.  However, the GP59 has a 12-cylinder engine, so the engine compartment is shorter by two doors per side compared to the GP60 or GP50, which is what he is using as the basis for his model.

Chris
Chris R. Toth

NSMoWandS

Thanks for the info Chris! Dan

Badhorse79

Thanks Chris ! I found a few drawings , and got measurements so ill start the dremel tool up and get started

NSMoWandS

Another question for y'all... is the GP59/GP59E's shorter(frame wise) from the GP50/60's? I would assume so, for the lack of the two engine compartment doors... but, not sure. Dan

JWall

No they are the same as the GP60.  Just minus the two engine doors, difference is in the space between the cab and the clean air room(inertial filter).  Basically everything moved back and filler added behind the cab.

In pictures look at the space between the back of the cab and the line that runs from the roof to the walkway in front of the blower duct.

James Wall
Rural Hall, NC
where the K and the CF lines met
James Wall
Rural Hall, NC

Badhorse79

That's the area that's been bugging me jwall! I hear they scooted the nose up and its throwing me off because the gap was already there!???   But I think them adding the newer filter hatch fan thing it fills the area that the regular 59s had!?  The measurements and my guesstaments seem to be matching up!

NSMoWandS

Okay... I think I have got it... There is a "filler" space (for lack of better terms) in the GP59 that is taken out for the two extra doors on the 50/60's... but, when NS rebuilds the 59's into 59E's... a bigger electrical cabinet takes up that space and then some... hence the cab being moved forward. Am I even close? LOL! Dan

Badhorse79

NSMoWandS

Cool! Guess the blind squirrel CAN find a nut! LOL! Dan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk