The Queen Bee--CNO&TP 6482

Started by Ponce de Leon, September 29, 2012, 10:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponce de Leon

For the interest of the old-timers, I uploaded a great E.G.Baker shot of CNO&TP 6482 (yep, just for you Chad!) to Rail Pictures. Here's a link if you're interested:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=410542&nseq=0
Ron Flanary

E.M. Bell

I was simply born much much later than I should have been.. How can ANYTHING today compare with that scene..

Heritage units and steam trips are grand, but dont hold a candle to that..
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

chipallen16

I'm going to agree... I was only 65 years late for these wonderful things!

-Chip  :)

Ponce de Leon

Quote from: E.M. Bell on September 29, 2012, 11:49:38 AM
I was simply born much much later than I should have been.. How can ANYTHING today compare with that scene..

Heritage units and steam trips are grand, but dont hold a candle to that..

EM--I fully agree! I would dearly love to join you and Butch at the south end of the old curved trestle (pre-1950) at Burnside and shoot this baby on number 3. Of course chasing on old two-lane US 27 back then would have been totally out of the question (assuming we had a new 30s-vintage car that would even operate!)--but we could just wait for the next train---which would likely be an Ms-4 Mike pulling freight.
Ron Flanary

butch

Break out the time machine!

I was checking out the other pix in the Collection of Ron Flanary on RP and besides the Latonia Tunnel shots, the one that caught my eye was the WW II CNO&TP Main shot that you picked up in Harlan.  I was trying to figure out the location and my best guess is between just north of CW Tower and where the tracks cross the river at Harriman.  It looks like there is a signal behind the engine and sticking with the look of following the river, either CW Tower or Camp Austin.  Thoughts?
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

Ponce de Leon

Quote from: butch on September 29, 2012, 09:59:53 PM
Break out the time machine!

I was checking out the other pix in the Collection of Ron Flanary on RP and besides the Latonia Tunnel shots, the one that caught my eye was the WW II CNO&TP Main shot that you picked up in Harlan.  I was trying to figure out the location and my best guess is between just north of CW Tower and where the tracks crosse the river at Harriman.  It looks like there is a signal behind the engine and sticking with the look of following the river, either CW Tower or Camp Austin.  Thoughts?

I think that's an excellent guess. I pondered this for a long time, but I couldn't find a clue that would tell me exactly where this might be (except along the CNO&TP of course).
Ron Flanary

Southern6482

Ron, that is absoultely stunning! It's amazing how clear E.G.'s pictures were even then.  WOW. Thanks so much for posting it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk