Author Topic: Honest opinions  (Read 3351 times)

Offline SouthernCrescent76

• Inactives
  • Extra Board
  • Southern Crescent Crew Member
Honest opinions
« on: July 17, 2012, 01:22:27 AM »
I'd like some honest opinions on this shot please.

http://southerncrescent76.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3099835

Thank you!!

All Aboard,

Bruce

Offline JCagle

• Administrator
  • Old Head
  • Roaming wherever work sends me...
Re: Honest opinions
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 03:59:42 PM »
I like the overall concept. I have been playing with using tree trunks with character for a while now. Those pesky sucker limbs take away from it since they block out the bottom half of the nose, but it's definately something you could work around. I like the moss and the shadow the tree bark creates.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

Offline Batman

• Old Head
    • http://www.nslocos.com
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »

pilot is hidden by leaves.

Offline E.M. Bell

• Founder & CEO of Jreb.org
  • Administrator
  • Old Head
  • The EMD Hugger
    • http://www.jreb.org
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 10:36:39 PM »
Bruce, if it was me, I would have taken a step or two to the right to get the front of the engine out from the leaves (or just removed that limb) and cropped out the pole on the far right..

Using a tree or overhanging limbs to frame is a trick I use all the time. Its a great way to use a othewise bland location. You got some good light on the tree to, I always seem to end up with just a tree trunk shaped shadow!
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Offline NSyorktown

• Global Moderator
  • Old Head
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 08:40:37 AM »
Mother Nature is used all the time to enhance photographs . . . tree trunks, rivers, mountains, clouds, even sunlight.  So including the tree to "frame" the edge of the photo is fine, but (a) it dominates a whole lot of the scene and (b) the annoying branches cover-up many important details.  A few leaves are "OK", but not at the bottom, side, and top.  Non-Mother Nature items are less helpful, like parked cars, ugly buildings, or street signs that distract your view.  The utility pole is in that category, as a railfan would like to read the graphics on the side of the covered hopper.

Like the pic . . . . but wanted to offer my two cents worth, as well.

P.S. - Stayed at the Hampton Inn in Statesville on July 2nd, on the way to the N.S. Family Portrait event (nice community).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 08:45:20 AM by NSyorktown »

• Inactives
  • Extra Board
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 09:20:23 PM »

Thanks for all of the opinions about the shot in question.  This was one of those random, un-staged shots.  It was hot out and I, being on too many meds, was looking for a place out of the direct sun.  The train was moving and I took several shots within 50 yards or so.  The reason I seek input is for future reference since this entire RR is within 20 miles of my house.  No doubt I'll visit many times and take hundreds of shots.  With the information gleaned here I'll be much more prepared next time.  Thanks again!

All Aboard,

Bruce

• Inactives
  • Extra Board
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 09:23:14 PM »
>You got some good light on the tree to, I always seem to end up with just a tree trunk shaped shadow!

E.m. - Believe me, it was an accident!  lol 

All Aboard,

Bruce