Main Menu

Opinions?

Started by NS_Milepost_279.2, June 09, 2012, 05:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NS_Milepost_279.2

Hello all,

I have a few photos I'd like for you all to give your thoughts on, if you don't mind of course.
All of which are on my Flickr account.

The first of these is a personal favorite, but there is something about it that bugs at me and I can't figure out what is wrong with it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58689037@N04/7335841042/in/set-72157629902236861

The second I love, but with my Flickr being less known by many, I haven't gotten much feedback on it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58689037@N04/7318421116/in/set-72157629902236861/

This one is another favorite, I feel like the front of the unit looks great, but somehow the rest is just "okay" if you know what I mean.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58689037@N04/7318411932/in/set-72157629902236861/

Finally, this one. I had a lot of feedback on it, but mostly from just plain railfans, not anyone of the photography world. I'm obviously not looking to be the next RP.net champion, however I'd like to know your thoughts on overall photo quality with this one.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58689037@N04/7298001372/in/set-72157629902236861/

If ya'll could offer your opinions on them, I'd be honored. There's a lot of truly talented people in this forum.

-Alex
"NORFOLK SOUTHERN MILEPOST 2-7-9 DOT 2 NO DEFECTS"

Michael Knight

Nice pictures, and thank you for sharing and seeking input.

In the first picture, the train is not the obvious subject of the scene, and the road, grassy area, train, ridge, and wide-open sky all fight for the viewer's attention. Perhaps the lack (but perfectly permissible lack) of the train as the focal point, along with all the other attention grabbing elements, is the issue that "bugs" you.

The second is nicely done, and it incorporates several elements into the overall scene as well. Although there's more to this scene than the train, the train strikes me as one of the main focal points. That's a great shot with a seasonal flare thanks to Old Glory flying in the wind.

The third is a great shot as well. Yes, the front does look good, but from that angle, it will stand out more than the sides. All-in-all, I think it's well-balanced for capturing the marker lights, but a slightly wider field of view to allow more of the train would add to the image.

The fourth is nice! Considering the spotty sunlight and shade, the engine looks good in spite of its black paint.

NS_Milepost_279.2

Thanks much for your input.

I'm glad you got the point of the picture on the second one, that the train wasn't meant to be the whole subject of the picture. I think that's what I like most about it, its a very calm scene.

Thanks again!

-Alex

Joe the Photog

1.) I like the idea more than the execution. Anytime I see a bigger scene than just the scene, I like it. In this case, the train should be closer to the photographer either by cropping down or, better yet, letting the train move up in the frame. Oddly, the lack of cars on the road closer to you  isn't helping the overall scene either. It feels like everything we should be looking at is too far back.

2.) Even though I know you are trying to keep  the depot as a main element of the photo, it looks happenstance how it is presented here. The train is too far to the left of the frame and some of the depot is blocked by the tracks. Standing further down the tracks may have helped. I'd still like to see the train closer to  the depot. The shot is also leaning slightly CCW. Lastly, I'd let the train trail off in the distance instead of cutting it off.

3.) This photo is awfully square. Look so much in photography, this can be a subjective matter. I'm not  a fan of square shots; others may be. But the cropping is too on both sides. On the engine side, there wasn't a lot of room left. On the train side, you could have let the train trail off more. The shot is also leaning somewhat significantly to  the right.

4.) My favorite shot  of the four, but again, it's a square crop. Needs more room to the sides, maybe less on the top. Some folks won't like the shadows on the lead engine, but I don't think they distract terribly in this case. The colors are a bit muted, but then it was a summer time shot afterall.

Just watch who you accept hearty congratulations from. This is probably a hard piece of advice, but just because someone comments "Awesome!" on Flickr doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. Take all advice with a grain of salt, but take one word comments with an extra dose. 
Joe H.
Columbia, SC

"There's nothing wrong with being shallow as long as you're insightful about it." -- Dennis Miller

Ponce de Leon

There's a huge difference in some photo-manipulations in a large format (300 dpi) vs. the internet standard of 72 dpi. That's particularly true for Photoshop features such as sharpening, noise reduction, blurring, etc. Adjusting those features after it's reduced to 72 dpi are much, much more intense, because you're dealing with a smaller number of pixels.

It all depends on what you want as an end result: a print, an upload to Flicker/RP, etc.---or something for eventual publication in a book or magazine.
Ron Flanary

NS_Milepost_279.2

I see some more responses have been posted here.
Thanks both of you! I'll take your advice with great consideration.

-Alex

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk