Main Menu

CNO&TP Second District ATCS Trouble

Started by NS_Milepost_279.2, May 02, 2012, 12:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NS_Milepost_279.2

I certainly hope I'm not out of line to post this here, but the ATCS Yahoo group is very confusing, and so is their Wiki page.  :-\

Anyway, I got ATCS up and running for the "old" Second District of the CNO&TP, and its really nice, besides not having Burnside listed and what not, which I believe on this layout is "Tateville".
The ATCS layout works great from Danville's north wye to Geneva, however from Geneva to Oakdale, its not receiving data. However, when I clicked on the "No Data Received" tab that highlighted above the town name, I'll use Robbins as an example, it brought up a small menu with some Mnemoic Maintenance jibber-jabber. After pressing "test" it showed that Robbins had been refreshed at 10:51pm. However, Robbins would not refresh automatically like the towns between North Wye and Geneva do.
Is this a server or ATCS error, or do I not have something done right? If the latter is true, would anyone here be willing to help guide me through getting it working? I downloaded this ATCS mainly for the area between Revilo and Lancing.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

-Alex
"NORFOLK SOUTHERN MILEPOST 2-7-9 DOT 2 NO DEFECTS"

NSMoWandS

Yeah, I hear ya about the group... It sounds to me that it is only randomly picking up the BCP's. If the server is not picking up the MCP's... you will not see any movements. If it says No Data Received... either it is not being picked up over the air or you have not imported the MCP's files... since you said you had movement on other areas... it is likely no over the air coverage. hope this helps.

E.M. Bell

Guys, I moved this over to the ATCS section...

Alex, the answer is simple. Paul and Stew only have coverage from Cinncy to Junction City (which receives as far South as Palm and Geneva). I am not sure how many host sites they have just to cover that 130 mile stretch, but I am sure there are several.

If you use ATCS via a server connection, you will only "see" what the host can hear. I am sure they would love to have some folks that would  be willing to provide places on down South to expand the coverage! 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

AD4YJ

EM is correct....we have no reliable coverage south of Geneva. If you would be interested in providing a location for a remote server, we can help you out by providing equipment. The main things you will need to supply is a good location, and an always on internet connect. Let me know if you are interested.

Also, there are 2 new MCP's, Burnside and General. Until I have some semi reliable coverage I cannot decode the mnemonics, so I have not updated the layout.

Paul
Paul
Co-Moderator ATCS Board

NS_Milepost_279.2

Paul, I'd love to help, however I'm not very researched in ATCS servers and what not. I will do some research, and hopefully I can assist you in the future.

E.m,
Thanks for that information. Pretty much covers what I needed to know! Also, I apologize for posting in the incorrect area, just wasn't sure where it belonged.

-Alex

NS_Milepost_279.2

Also, as far as ATCS locations, does the host with the internet connection have to be near the tracks? I know that may sound silly, but I'm about as knowledgable with technology as an Amish man. I live about 30 miles from Robbins, So I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.

AD4YJ

30 miles would probably be too far. A good server location would need to be within a couple of miles of the mainline. The ATCS signals are around 900 Mhz, and those signals are low power and are hard to pick up from a distance.

Paul
Paul
Co-Moderator ATCS Board

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk