8 (33.3%)
Matt L 8888
2 (8.3%)
trainchaser2 Danville Yard
3 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: May 05, 2012, 07:42:23 PM

JCagle

I have been doing some thinking, and we have never had a contest featuring unit coal trains that I can remember. Coal is such an important bulk commodity to the railroad I got to wondering why it never occurred to me to have that be a theme. It runs just about everywhere so most should have a shot or 2 in their collection.  So this month show us your favorite coal shots.

We will take entries until the 29th and start voting on the 30th.

As always the standard rules apply. Email or PM me with any questions.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

maersksealand3329

Ok I'll Bite. 

This picture was taken a few years ago when I lived in Toledo, Ohio.  It was an empty DEEX coal train with BNSF 6145 leading an SD70MAC on the Norfolk Southern Detroit Line.  Orginally it was entered into another contest on another site, and this right now is the best I can do for coal trains.  My other coal train pictures are on my other PC at the moment.  This train was unexpected, but I shot it to give that streched out feeling on the rails. 
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!!!!!!!!!!
Its My Life :-)
www.facebook.com/railfan1
Skype-michael.fair3

jhicks7

Hey guys,

I'm new here, but thought I would try my hand (can't hurt, right?). I'm not an excellent photographer by far, just something I do for fun when I can. I basically live on the NS Altavista District, so there's plenty of coal traffic headed to Norfolk. This was a complete surprise when I was out driving around in Moneta, VA down one of the dirt roads near my house, back during my spring break when I was home. I'm standing on a wooden bridge that spans the old Virginian mainline here. I don't own a scanner, so I could only make a guess as to what the symbol is, but I know for sure it was a PGNX train.

Anyways, here's my entry and I hope y'all enjoy it!

Josh

JCagle

No, we do not allow model pictures in the photo contest. I have been toying with the idea of doing some model contests from time to time (not a regular feature) since activity has picked up there a bit.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Ptrainman

ES44AC 8027 leads a northbound empty coal train through on of the many dips and hills on the Durham District near Cluster Springs,VA.

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

butch

Getting ready to enter the western portal of Elkhorn Tunnel near Maybeury WV.
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

Ptrainman

Those cars look just a little over loaded to me.

NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

Ed Fury

unknown coal train
MP 285 Norfolk Southern Louisville District
03-27-2012 15:01

ns 76J
mp 285.5 louisville district
04/18/12 14:16

NSMoWandS

Not the best pic... but, though many here do not get to see coal trains on Amtrak's Northeast Corridor. NS897 pulling empties onto the NEC at CP Davis(where NS Delamrva Sec connects). It will make the 20 mile run down to Perryville, MD where NS Port Road will take it to Enola, PA and west.

SRSD80MAC

NS 536 Leaving rose yard in altoona after a crew change!

T. Mahan

# 1 is 'way' back in July '07. I was at McGhee-Tyson ANG station for some training. Over the weekend break,  I headed over to Emory Gap where I caught this BNSF powered Scherer (Spelling?) coal train.  This was taken with my pre DSLR camera.

#2 is from September '11 when visiting family in Kentucky.  I caught the days' 112 at Burnside, KY with a huge block of empty coal hoppers on the head end.  Was tough to shoot in the fog, but I think I pulled it off?
T.J. Mahan
Green Cove Springs, FL
www.facebook.com/tjm6515

JCagle

Just a few more days to get your shots in!

JCagle

A loaded coal train snakes it's way from the S Line to the Piedmont Main in Salisbury, NC. May 2006

Matt L

I haven't seen coal trains on the Southern Tier Mainline very often under NS ownership. This (empty) unit hopper train was 525, returning westbound after dropping off a load of coal on the Ithaca Secondary.

Photo taken by me Saturday 12/27/2008 in Rathbone, NY.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

srman

Southern caboose X332 tags behind Southern hoppers as this westbound coal empty heads back to the
southern Indiana coal mines for a reload on June 20,1986 at Tucker just east of Louisville Kentucky.

Matt L

Entry #2 is down to the wire! This was a pleasant surprise from a road trip yesterday- NS 8888 heading eastbound on the Bison Runner. I'll explain story behind it when I post the pictorial in the photo sharing subforum.

Photo taken by me Saturday 4/28/2012 in Buffalo, NY. The little shelter next to the road is used for driver's testing.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Gage O'Dell

NS 796 pulls into Danville Yard to spot up for fuel. With NS 8041 and NS SD70ACe 1058 leading

JCagle

The poll is up and active for 5 days

NSMoWandS

I am really surprised that no heritage units showed up... with them mostly headed to the coal fields.

Conrail Tweety

Quote from: NSMoWandS on May 01, 2012, 01:36:02 PM
I am really surprised that no heritage units showed up... with them mostly headed to the coal fields.
Mine all came out with terrible reflections off the shiny paint, or blurred from too slow shutter. I was surprised how hard it is to avoid the reflections off that new clearcoat. I have coal shots of CR, SOU, N&W, and LV, all worthy of last place.

Dennis
"I 'tawt I 'taw a Tessie tat!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk