My first day trackside in the spring of 2012

Started by Matt L, April 02, 2012, 06:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

The first week of spring was downright balmy up here in the Northeast. It was sunny with temps ranging from the low 70s to almost 80 degrees. That is not a joke or a misprint! it felt like summer actually came early this year. As luck would have it, I had already chosen the final day of nice weather to head out to Buffalo.

My day started at the Tifft Street bridge. A high nose GP38-2 had brought local H0A to Buffalo Creek Junction.

Photo taken by me Friday 3/23/2012 in Buffalo, NY.   
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

The crew of H0A has pulled up the train to the interchange track and is preparing to shove it back onto the Buffalo & Pittsburgh RR.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

H0A backs up from the former NKP mainline onto the former B&O 4th Sub.

Matt L

High nose Geep #5113 is a former Southern unit. It was nice to see the old beast up in the Northeast.

Matt L

NS #5113 shuffles cars in the B&P's Buffalo Creek Yard.

Matt L

As an added bonus, a B&P local was also working in the yard.

Matt L

Number 5113 returns the NS yard via a light engine move.

Matt L

The B&P local performed switching moves while #5113 headed up the ex-NKP.

Matt L

The Geep was heading up to a small cut of cars.

Matt L

H0A departs Buffalo Creek Junction with a 3 car consist.

Matt L

As H0A departed, another train appeared in the distance on the Buffalo Southern RR.

Matt L

I'm pretty sure the inbound train was NS 14M.

Matt L

At the same time, Amtrak's eastbound Lake Shore Limited (on CSX rails) passed 14M.

Matt L

14M heads up the BSOR (an ex-Erie/EL branchline) slowly, while Amtrak passes by. According to a fellow railfan, the CP unit was brand new and would be dropped off in nearby SK Yard.

Matt L

14M also had coil cars in the consist- something I don't see very often.

Matt L

The tail end of 14M heads eastward the Buffalo Southern. NS uses this end of BSOR as a bypass when the ex-NKP main is in use.

Matt L

This Norfolk Southern hi-rail MOW truck also passed through Buffalo Creek Junction.

Matt L

The NS MOW truck got off the rails and left the yard via an access road.

Matt L

Number 5113 returned alone after dropping off the consist of H0A a few miles way in Hamburg.

Matt L

At the same time, NS 287 made its daily appearance.

Matt L

Number 5113 has passed under Tifft Street and is about to pick-up a few more cars.

Matt L

Norfolk Southern 287 passes H0A at Buffalo Creek Junction.

Matt L

As Ed Fury recently observed, Norfolk Southern apparently isn't shy about using standard cabs as leading power on auto rack trains.

Matt L

After picking up a few cars, H0A runs along side 287 as the latter departs Buffalo Creek Junction heading westbound.

Matt L

Now y'all can see why Tifft Street is one of my favorite destinations- it's a great spot to see several trains working at once.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk