RP Rejection

Started by Ptrainman, March 27, 2012, 02:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ptrainman

Trying to get my first shot on RP and I think it is worthy even by their over the top standards. I have uploaded this shot 3 times each getting a different reason for rejection. First is was over-sharpened, the over-exposed, now bad cropping. I see nothing wrong with the cropping of it. The shot I was gouing for was the train rounding the curve and include the station sign and Begin Rule 171 sign. I guess the Whistle post could go, what do you guys think.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=1026391&key=7443067

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

ARandall70

Nice shot, I too have yet to get a shot in, but I shoot videos mostly. Even though I haven't had any accepted, I think the cropping may have to do with the dimensions of the shot, its kind of flat, much wider than it is tall. I know they don't like squares, but square it up a little more, and then see what else they come up with. I think a 4:3 type width to height ratio is most common. I think you can keep all of the elements of the shot in it.

I really like shots with station signs that identify the location, and add some local character.

Good luck getting it on. I hope they do not lead you on as far as they have and then wait to give you the cloudy rejection. Or maybe its not cloudy and that is just me.
Anthony Randall
Fuquay-Varina, NC
www.youtube.com/user/ARandall70

Ptrainman

Yes it was cloudy when it was shot. I thought the components of the shot made up for it though. I am not trying again with this one, maybe another one.

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

Ponce de Leon

It's a little too tight on the lead unit, and the color is a bit washed out. Keep at it, though!
Ron Flanary

Batman

dont waste your time with rai;pix,  set  up a rrpictureachvives account and you wil be just fine.

JCagle

I used to submit to them a lot but I havn't submitted in several years. I don't know how their standards have changed since they change over time. They are always big light sticklers so cloudy shots have to be something special to get in. If the light wasn't an issue they would say bad angle since they like 3/4, broadside, or head on pretty much. I would also say it needs some head room up top to keep it with the rule of thirds.

As many people have stated in the past it's their site their rules. Just because they don't take something doesn't mean it's not view worthy.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

maersksealand3329

I will never submit to that site again.  I had a historical shot of CSX 4400 still in CR blue I sent to them from Needmore Yard in Dayton, Ohio taken with permission of the trainmaster. Promptly rejected for BS reasons.  I have a rrpicturearchives.net account, and that site is way better than railpicky. Its like one of my pics gets rejected then I see 10 of the same pic!  I look at it like this-if you are not in their clique-forget about ever getting on that site. 

Your best bet is to post to rrpicturearchives.net or post your material here. 
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!!!!!!!!!!
Its My Life :-)
www.facebook.com/railfan1
Skype-michael.fair3

Ed Fury

I never liked the site because 1024x768 is dinosaur 1990s technology. You can't even see those tiny images on a standard common $89.00 1920x1080 monitor/tv from Wal-mart.

I want to be able to count rivets not squint to see the road name on the side of the engine or just guess going simply by the color of the unit.

But it is free so I guess I can't complain myself until I can come up with twenty something bucks to buy my flickr account to post full sized images finally.

Ponce de Leon

Quote from: Ed Fury on April 17, 2012, 01:43:10 AM
I never liked the site because 1024x768 is dinosaur 1990s technology. You can't even see those tiny images on a standard common $89.00 1920x1080 monitor/tv from Wal-mart.

They now accept images at 1200 pixels wide, to accommodate the "rivet counters."

Like it or hate it, RP is the premiere rail photography site on the internet. It was the subject a presentation at the Center for Railroad Photography and Art at Lake Forest, IL this past weekend (April 14th to be exact), and it was well received and quite informative.

If you can't manage to get your shot accepted, I suggest you seek some advice on how to improve your skills as a photographer. Even after more than 50 years of railroad photography, I learn something new all the time.
Ron Flanary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk