Author Topic: System wide NS train number list  (Read 322060 times)

Offline billworsham

• Old Head
Re: System wide NS train number list
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2014, 09:43:14 AM »
Please add T25 Knoxville to New Market TN Young Mine Turn

Offline billworsham

• Old Head
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2014, 10:31:53 AM »
201 Originates in Erail, NJ with a stop in Harrisburg, PA, terminating in Rossville, TN
202 Originates in Rossville, TN with a stop in Harrisburg, PA, terminating in Erail, NJ

Offline florida581

• Old Head
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2014, 10:48:56 AM »
201 Originates in Erail, NJ with a stop in Harrisburg, PA, terminating in Rossville, TN
202 Originates in Rossville, TN with a stop in Harrisburg, PA, terminating in Erail, NJ

Was this a recent change?  According to the NS intermodal schedule site, all originating traffic from Erail, including Rossville, departs on train 25Z.  It also has all traffic terminating at Erail, including Rossville, arriving on train 20R. 
Andrew

Offline billworsham

• Old Head
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2014, 11:14:04 AM »
Was not aware of the change on the website...just now looked at it.  Thanks for the update!

Offline florida581

• Old Head
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2014, 12:38:42 PM »
I was wondering if someone could provide some info on autorack trains running north out of Jacksonville.  An empty rack train originates in Jacksonville every day.  On most days, it runs as 276 for Georgetown, KY.  It does, however, run as 284 or even 27W on occasion. 

When the empty rack train is running as 284, where does it terminate?  As 27W?
Andrew

Offline billworsham

• Old Head
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2014, 01:39:06 PM »
Florida581, although you provide an explanation at the top of this thread as to why you don't track/post the symbols for coal/grain/mtys/as needed, I think it's still helpful to our newer members to post those symbols anyway. Then those newer members can learn those symbols for their respective areas.

Granted, most coal symbols are regular running symbols attached to one destination and routing, and are thus reliable as well as their mtys. The same goes for some of the grain symbols.

Why don't we try posting symbols for these trains and thereby track a history of these symbols then we can review months down the road which of the symbols are unreliable.

I invite other members to chime in as well with their thoughts.

Offline Railroadguy

• Old Head
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2014, 08:51:15 PM »
I agree...

Offline nsrlink

• Old Head
« Reply #107 on: February 27, 2014, 09:14:59 AM »
Florida581, although you provide an explanation at the top of this thread as to why you don't track/post the symbols for coal/grain/mtys/as needed, I think it's still helpful to our newer members to post those symbols anyway. Then those newer members can learn those symbols for their respective areas.

Granted, most coal symbols are regular running symbols attached to one destination and routing, and are thus reliable as well as their mtys. The same goes for some of the grain symbols.

Why don't we try posting symbols for these trains and thereby track a history of these symbols then we can review months down the road which of the symbols are unreliable.

I invite other members to chime in as well with their thoughts.

Y'all can post whatever you want, but I'll throw my two cents on the floor.  While some of the coal & empty trains usually use the same sets of symbols as a load from mine to power plant & empties to return, NS all too often relies on the "dynamic train plan" to assign symbols for both grain & coal.  It might as well be designated as a random number generator, or akin to picking a train symbol from a deck of cards. 

One day you may have a 56Z grain train loading in Columbus OH going to Gainesville, GA.  The next day 56Z is given to a loaded grain train off yoUPee from St Louis to Baldwin, GA, and on day three 56Z may be given to Mansfield, OH to Columbia, SC.  I've seen this plenty of times in the NS computer when I'm trying to find out where some stupid off the wall symbol is going & I'm trying to figure out if it will come my way to go to work. 

My point is, I don't think any of us can safely say 56Z is a ABC to XYZ train because it isn't & will not have a set route or origin destination & this may confuse some people when they see 56Z going through their town between DEF to TUV. 
***56Z used as an example in this scenario, substitute almost any three digit letter number combination and the point remains the same.

Offline chipallen16

• Old Head
  • Georgia Tech - BSBA Class of 2018
    • My RP Photos
« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2014, 10:12:48 PM »
I had the same concern when I first read that comment.. All I can figure out for the examples you used (I live on the Greenville District) are that our loaded trains typically end with an A. Of course, D trains com in too, so I see it's definitely varied. Our only outbound ID is 51Q, and that's all that remains constant.

-Chip  :)

Offline Southern6482

• Old Head
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2014, 11:15:17 PM »
I've been hearing a northbound 115 the past few evenings (around 11) here in Georgetown KY... That's a new one on me.

Offline florida581

• Old Head
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2014, 11:22:31 PM »
I've been hearing a northbound 115 the past few evenings (around 11) here in Georgetown KY... That's a new one on me.

I've heard about 115.  I was told it's mostly, if not all, empty ethanol tank cars.  I think it originates in Knoxville, TN and terminates in Peoria, IL.   Can anyone confirm this?  If so, I'll add it to the list.
Andrew

Offline Gage O'Dell

• Old Head
« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2014, 11:33:50 PM »
Confirmed... It's been running for quite sometime now. I don't know how long it'll last but as of now it's running

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
  • Norfolk Southern fulfills what DERECO started.
« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2014, 08:37:42 PM »
Updates:

The local formerly known as H10 (Elmira to Binghamton turn) is now H17.

The local formerly known as H0K (Bison Yard to Frontier Yard- CSX transfer) is now H35.

The local formerly known as H0A (Buffalo Creek Junction to Hamburg turn) is H42. This train can originate at Bison Yard or SK Yard on occasion.

Local H41 - runs out of Bison Yard to service the industries surrounding the North Yard: Babcock Yard, SK Yard, and the Ebenezer Running track.

Local H52- Bison Yard to Silver Springs, NY and return. This train interchanges with the Rochester & Southern, as well as servicing customers in Attica, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Offline tah1015613

• Marked up
« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2014, 11:28:03 PM »
Confirmed... It's been running for quite sometime now. I don't know how long it'll last but as of now it's running

Through Cincinnati to Muncie on the New Castle District then a left turn to the Frankfort District towards Lafayette. Don't know if it's daily but have heard it's temporary.

Offline NSMoWandS

• Inactives
  • Old Head
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2014, 11:23:30 PM »
Heard a new one today. Savage(contract switching at Del City Refinery) called 65X to tell them that the lead was blocked and it would be a couple of mins before it would be cleared. However, the NS crew on 65X(it was a 64X coming into the refinery) said they were 11G. They got a T/A as 11G and Amtrak  was even calling them 11G. So, I will keep on listening to see if things are changing again. DE Dan

Offline florida581

• Old Head
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2014, 11:43:36 PM »
Heard a new one today. Savage(contract switching at Del City Refinery) called 65X to tell them that the lead was blocked and it would be a couple of mins before it would be cleared. However, the NS crew on 65X(it was a 64X coming into the refinery) said they were 11G. They got a T/A as 11G and Amtrak  was even calling them 11G. So, I will keep on listening to see if things are changing again. DE Dan

11G is (or at least was) an Enola to Elkhart train.  Maybe the train was extended to start at the refinery?
Andrew

Offline NSMoWandS

• Inactives
  • Old Head
« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2014, 12:03:03 AM »

11G is (or at least was) an Enola to Elkhart train.  Maybe the train was extended to start at the refinery?

That is what I thought also. If it was extended... that would be weird... as NS has decided to slow down the crude oil trains for the time being. So, the other traffic on the train would suffer also. DE Dan

Offline florida581

• Old Head
« Reply #117 on: March 27, 2014, 11:00:16 AM »
I was told from another source that 11G is now Reybold, DE to Conway.
Andrew

Offline NSMoWandS

• Inactives
  • Old Head
« Reply #118 on: March 27, 2014, 11:58:55 AM »
I was told from another source that 11G is now Reybold, DE to Conway.

LOL! Just found out the same thing! Del City Refinery has a coker unit... so, it can process heavy sour(Canada Tar Sand) and light sweet crude(ND Bakken). They were moving the Heavy Sour on 18R/19R... with delivery to refinery with locals. And 64R/X/V and Z4R was unit trains of light sweet to the refinery. I will have to see if 18R/19R are stilling active. DE Dan

Offline High Speed Kurt

• Inactives
  • Footboard Yardmaster
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2014, 10:49:46 AM »
27E (from BNSF) New Orleans to Atlanta autoracks.

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
  • Norfolk Southern fulfills what DERECO started.
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2014, 08:27:35 PM »
Local H50- works North Yard and SK Yard in Buffalo, NY
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Offline Railroadguy

• Old Head
« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2014, 02:06:29 PM »
Well seems like 140 is back on the Griffin line

Offline florida581

• Old Head
« Reply #122 on: May 04, 2014, 03:42:34 PM »
Well seems like 140 is back on the Griffin line

Thanks for the heads up.  I guess the Macon - Griffin local couldn't handle all of the traffic.  At which yard is 140 terminating?
Any word on 139?
Andrew

Offline Railroadguy

• Old Head
« Reply #123 on: May 04, 2014, 07:34:21 PM »
I believe 140 terminates in East Point. Im thinking 139 is back to.

Offline Railroadguy

• Old Head
« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2014, 08:53:26 PM »
NS 128 is abolished and is being replaced by 195. 195 should be Linwood to Roanoke