3 Days of the Southern Tier Mainline

Started by Matt L, February 06, 2012, 07:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

I recently had a birthday, so I headed off to the county where I grew up... to see family and spend some time trackside. Days #1 and #2 were spent with the Southern Tier Mainline, while the 3rd day was a mix of the Tier and the Wellsboro & Corning RR.

The first morning was sunny and beautiful as 23K rolled through CP Cass.

Photo taken by me Saturday 1/28/2012 in Hornell, NY.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

23K had an older SOO EMD sandwiched between the widecabs.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

23K heads up the former Erie Buffalo Division, bound for Bison Yard and eventually Chicago.

Matt L

Next up was 38T, which had a nice pair of matched lease units for power.

Matt L

38T crosses Cass Street.

Matt L

The power for 38T passes under Maple City drive.

Matt L

Eastbound 38T passes through CP Cass.

Matt L

The tail end of 38T has cleared Taylor Street and will soon disappear around the bend on its trek to Binghamton.

Matt L

I also moved eastward into the Canisteo River valley, a couple hours after 38T passed. 13T arrived in the middle of the afternoon. 

Photo taken by me Saturday 1/28/2012 in Adrian, NY.

Matt L

The chase was on at this point and I followed 13T eastward, enjoying the sound of the lead engine's horn echoing off the valley walls. (It's maybe a mile or so wide in most places.)

Photo taken by me Saturday 1/28/2012 in Cameron, NY.

Matt L

13T crosses Canisteo River Road.

Matt L

The tail end of 13T runs through the Canisteo River valley.

Matt L

The Southern Tier mainline has a speed limit of 50 mph and the Canisteo River Road has a speed limit of 55 mph, so getting ahead of the train again was easy.

Photo taken by me Saturday 1/28/2012 in Rathbone, NY. 

Matt L

13T crosses Newcomb Road.

Photo taken by me Saturday 1/28/2012 in Rathbone, NY.

Matt L

Eventually, the road's speed limit lowered for a small town, so I eventually had to end the chase and let 13T go with a parting shot.

Photo taken by me Saturday 1/28/2012 in the Village of Addison, NY.

Matt L

Most of the day was dry... but a nasty mix of snow, sleet and cold raid developed in the late afternoon. Daylight was beginning to fade by the time 12T approached County Route 110 around 4:30 PM.

Photo taken by me Saturday 1/28/2012 in Cameron Mills, NY.

Matt L

12T crosses County Route 110 in stormy weather.

Matt L

The leased GMTX EMD leading 12T was a nice splash of color in a sea of black NS power.

Matt L

The tail end of 12T heads westbound through the Canisteo River valley. The weather was getting worse, so I left immediately after the train passed.

Photo taken by me Saturday 1/28/2012 in Cameron Mills, NY. When I resume the series, we'll take a look at day #2... which had the best weather of the three. 

Matt L

Resuming my pictorial from a little over a week ago, Day #2 dawned bright and clear. I went down into the Canisteo River Valley again and caught 13T heading east around mid-afternoon.

Photo taken by me Sunday 1/29/2012 in Cameron Mills, NY.

Matt L

13T enters the County Route 110 crossing.

Matt L

13T heads east under much better weather than the previous day.

Matt L

The tail end of 13T rounds the bend east County Route 110... and the chase was on again.

Matt L

13T rumbles through the Canisteo River valley under cold winter sunshine.

Photo taken by me Sunday 1/29/2012 in Rathbone, NY.

Matt L

Just like the day before, a speed limit restriction forced me to puill over and finish my chase at the edge of a small town.

Photo taken by me Sunday 1/29/2012 in the Village of Addison, NY. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk