Where am I going wrong with cropping here.

Started by jjohns5182, December 12, 2011, 04:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjohns5182

Got rejected for bad crop so I did this then I got rejected for bad dimensions. "Size (Dimensions): The photo is either too narrow vertically or horizontally. For normal landscape images, our recommended height for a 1024 pixel wide image is 680 to 768 pixels."

I am unfamiliar with this rejection this is the first time I ever seen anything like it. So any suggestions on how I can crop this image and include the moon while not getting the bad dimensions rejection?

cmherndon

I love what you're going for with the moon and 4610.  That said, what we're looking at is essentially a roster shot of 4610.  The locomotive should be the main focus in a roster shot.  If you can deal with cutting the moon out completely, simply crop tighter around the locomotive. 

To keep the moon in your shot, try and cut off some of the space on the left side.  Go back to your original, crop it, and then resize to the "recommended" dimensions.
Caleb M. Herndon, KK4CDT
Frankfort, KY
http://www.cmherndon.com

"The human mind is like a railroad freight car; guaranteed to have a certain capacity, but often running empty."

jjohns5182

I'll try the left-side crop because I have other regular roster shots without the moon so if I can't get this accepted with the moon I'm not sure it would be worth trying this one again. I took several shots on this outing.

I really appreciate the advice

cmherndon

Quote from: jjohns5182 on December 12, 2011, 06:05:43 PM
I'll try the left-side crop because I have other regular roster shots without the moon so if I can't get this accepted with the moon I'm not sure it would be worth trying this one again. I took several shots on this outing.

I really appreciate the advice

No problem.  Another thing you may have going against you is the light in the background that's a bit distracting. If they don't care for the shot, however, it's not the end of the world. So long as you're shooing for yourself and not solely to get photos accepted to RP, you're doing it right.

I still like what you're going for by including the moon.
Caleb M. Herndon, KK4CDT
Frankfort, KY
http://www.cmherndon.com

"The human mind is like a railroad freight car; guaranteed to have a certain capacity, but often running empty."

E.M. Bell

Its NOT a bad just shot just because "they" wont take it.  Yes, there are some technical flaws, but I don't think I have seen very many shots with them...and you didn't use 58 galzillion candle power strobes to light it, which I think is a good thing. Ambient light at night can be your friend if used properly.

Take a little off the left side and just a tad off the bottom. It still wont make it "there" I dont think, but it would balance it someone, at least to my eye.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

jjohns5182

I'm a firm believer in natural light :D I'll try it now.

Ed Fury

Use photoshop to lower the moon. They would have never known.

Michael Knight

jjohns5182

To Michael: It was on the same night and shoot different image and approach, and something I recently found on my hard drive when cleaning up my comp that kind of got lost and sparked some interest when I saw it.

To Troy: The colors on this one were horrid any adjustments I made it look fake unlike the other post from last year.

I got underexposed with the new crop so I think I know what to do from there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk