Mongahela Railroad - current ops questions

Started by troy12n, September 11, 2011, 11:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troy12n

I am looking to make a trip in late October to the SouthWest PA/North WV region. Key focal points will be the Cass Scenic, Durbin & Greenbrier, former Monongahela Railway and some of the other standard places like the ex-B&O.

I have some specific questions about what is now known as the MGA Mine District of NS.

In looking online, there is little info about this area. One of the things I am having an issue with is the name/locations after doing some research. Specifically, where the hell is "Time", PA?? I cannot find this location on any map, or anywhere online. It's like it does not exist. I found references in timetables and in places like railpictures and rrphotoarchives. But not on any maps.

One of the mapping programs I use, Microsoft Mappoint does not even have parts of the MGA, such as the Manor Branch even on it's map. Google maps does.

If anyone could give me info on the area, strategies, etc for railfanning this area, it would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone know if 10/22 is going to be too late for fall foliage season?

E.M. Bell

Its been about 5 years since I was up in that neck of the the woods, but I dug out some notes I had, and can offer this on locating Time PA.

First, after looking at Google Maps, Earth ect, you are right...it don't exists on there! From my notes, the village of time is located on "Crouse Road" which turns off State Route 4015. Both of those show on google maps, just not the little wide spot in the road called time.

Probably the most famous shot from that area is the train running down valley from the mine, with a good portion of the train in the frame and a farm in the valley to the right of the scene.  When you turn off of 4015 onto Crouse Road, it will stay next to the tracks for a bit, then the road will break away and go through a couple of sharp curves. When you come back to the tracks after that, there is a private driveway on the left with a crossing. If you park and walk up the driveway, across the tracks and up on the hill side, it will get you that shot.

The last time I was there, the property was owned by a retired Pittsburgh police officer. I remember him being a nice fellow, and he didn't have a problem with us being there (we did drive back to the house and ask first)..  I cant say if its still the same way today or not.

The MGA mainline is very scenic from West Brownsville all the way to Waynesburg, and the Bailey branch is just outstanding. Traffic is (was) fairly heavy and it was never hard to find something to shoot. Seems like Sunday was about the slowest day..

Hope this helps...like I say, its been awhile, but I would love to get back up that way myself.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR

I have always wanted to see that area, sounds like switcher heaven , I hear there are shortlines and even abandoned engines to be found in PA. my kinda stuff!!
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

JCagle

The color may be on the decline in late October. If memory serves me correct they peak about the second week of October. As we get a little later in the month weather.com should have theory foilage forecast page up. That could give you a better idea.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Jreb Mobile powered by Tapatalk.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

tq-07fan

The mine on the Manor branch used to shut down Sunday only so there were usually few or not train movements on MGA on the west side on Sunday. On Sperry I tested the former MGA in 1995 and then in 1996 and we would work Sunday to avoid the trains. Very scenic yet remote area there and on the MGA on the west side of the Monongahela and on toward Reevesville.

If you are planning on going during foliage season get your hotels NOW! My dad and I came back through the same area last year returning from Motorbus the second week in October and available hotels in West Virginia and Pennsylvania numbered in the single digits. Both that we were able to get earlier in the day were full by the time we got to them. Going a little later you should have more flexibility but the leaves are a big deal to hundreds of people. We passed through MGA country on Friday October 15th, caught one Southbound at Maidsville WV (across from Morgantown), missed two Southbounds on the Waynesburg line and got a Northbound at West Brownsville. It's still busy.

Jim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk