5 (26.3%)
Whitehorne - NS25N at Radford, VA
1 (5.3%)
Blackhat - NS8019 at Bowerstown
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: October 13, 2011, 10:24:54 PM

JCagle

We apologize for the lateness of this months contest poll.  But here it is, better late than never.

Voting will be open for 5 days, ending Thursday October 13 at 10 pm.

You may vote for your favorite 2 images.

The theme for the October contest is Landscapes with a Train. 
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

NSyorktown

This is starting to get a bit weird . . . 10 days in, and no entries yet.

Is everyone else waiting for the colors to change (like me)?

;D

JCagle

All I will say is we typically do a fall colors contest in November.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Jreb Mobile powered by Tapatalk.

NSyorktown

Yep, realize that (and always look forward to the classic pics with the colorful leaves).

I'm just noticing that in the first 10 days of the August contest, you had 10 entries (versus "zero" during the first 10 days of the current theme).  I'm perhaps typical, as I haven't had much free time the last few weeks (school, watching college football and H.S. sports, etc.).  Or, like I said, folks are waiting to get beyond the dry, brown conditions . . . and hope to spot a tree trackside that has changed color a bit early.

JCagle

Just trying to tease out a few entries that may be thinking we had changed up this year. Fall colors is always a big contest and you are right on my logic behind having this theme this month. It gives a good shot for some to get an extra shot at some that they didn't have a chance to enter in the past. Remember there are two entries per person as well.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Jreb Mobile powered by Tapatalk.

Blackhat

Okay, I'll go first.

Here's NS ES44AC #8019 leading a coal train eastward as it crawls uphill towards Bowerston on the Columbus & Ohio River Railroad (owned by the State of Ohio and operated by the Ohio Central since 1992). What makes this "wide open" for me is the fact that the Pennsylvania Railroad daylighted the tunnel that used to be here in the 1950s. Back then there were two tracks, but Conrail pulled up the westbound rails in 1983.

Jake

Whitethorne

Photo 1: NS 37Q charges uphill into Wytheville VA past a absolutely beautiful farm scene on a warm August 2011 evening.
Photo 2: NS 25N parades westbound over the New River trestle in Radford VA as dramatic clouds fill the top of the frame.
Samuel Phillips
My photos: www.pbase.com/whitethorne
My videos: www.youtube.com/NS7500

NS2593

NS 94V crossing the river at Narrows, VA with a pair of timeless EMDs pulling the short work train onto the NS Whitethorne District.

Matt L

Entry #1 for this month: the NS OCS enters the interlocking at CP Gibson on the Southern Tier Mainline.

Photo taken by me Wednesday 8/24/2011 in Corning, NY.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

Entry #2 for this month is my favorite morning spot in the Buffalo area. An eastbound NS manifest freight enters Buffalo Creek Junction on a former Erie branchline.

Photo taken by me Saturday 9/16/2011 at Tifft Street in Buffalo, NY.

For those not familiar with the area, the tracks in this shot are as follows:

1. The double track NS line at left is the former Nickel Plate mainline.

2. The single track in the middle (with the train on it) is the former Buffalo & Southwestern Branch of the Erie/EL. Both NS and the Buffalo Southern RR use it at Buffalo Creek Junction.

3. The tracks at right are owned by CSX. They include the former New York Central RR mainline and a surviving yard track of the Lehigh Valley RR (which had a major terminal at Tifft back in the day).

4. The RR bridge in the background is the old South Buffalo RR, which was acquired by the Buffalo & Pittsburgh RR a few years ago.

IOW, this area is a feast for railfans. It's busy!
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

T. Mahan

My two ponies for the race...

1) Northbound NS 216 at High Bridge, KY (CNO&TP) on Septenber 28th
Enjoy....
T.J. Mahan
Green Cove Springs, FL
www.facebook.com/tjm6515

T. Mahan

2) A short NS 229 sprints south as seen from the Cabe Springs Bridge near Keno, KY

T.J. Mahan
Green Cove Springs, FL
www.facebook.com/tjm6515

cmherndon

Photo #1: Viewed from the top of "Young's Hill", trains 175 and 124 meet at Palm on the CNO&TP in July, 2004.

Photo #2: Seen from the Cave Springs Rd. bridge, 161 grinds uphill at Keno on a foggy May 2010 morning.
Caleb M. Herndon, KK4CDT
Frankfort, KY
http://www.cmherndon.com

"The human mind is like a railroad freight car; guaranteed to have a certain capacity, but often running empty."

SRSD80MAC

1) NS14G  SLOWLY GOING BY CASSANDRA HEADING FOR THE SUMMIT OF THE ALLEGHENYS.

2) NS21M  EXITING GALLITZEN TUNNEL WESTBOUND ON A LATE SEPTEMBER DAY.

Ed Fury

It can be voting time now?

*edit - Please!

Matt L

Quote from: Ed Fury on October 05, 2011, 10:50:05 PM
It can be voting time now?

*edit - Please!

Yes, can we please have the chance to vote now?

Forum Admin

Our contest mod has been unavailable the past few days. We will get the voting pole up by Saturday night, and apologize for any inconvenience. 
The JREB.org team

Forum Admin

We apologize for the lateness of this months contest poll.  But here it is, better late than never.

Voting will be open for 5 days, ending Thursday October 13 at 10 pm.

You may vote for your favorite 2 images.

The theme for the October contest is Landscapes with a Train. 
The JREB.org team

Forum Admin

We would like to congratulate Troy12N for his winning 2009 shot of NS 9963 crossing the Wells Viaduct at Toccoa GA.

Great shot Troy, and we will get that up on the main page and facebook this weekend!

Stay tuned for the next contest. Jason should be releasing the theme over the weekend.
The JREB.org team

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk