Main Menu

July 2011 Contest

Started by JCagle, June 14, 2011, 01:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Select a winner for the July 2011 contest.

tq-07fan 251
2 (18.2%)
tq-07fan American Crane
3 (27.3%)
Matt L #506
1 (9.1%)
mbgphoto79 po73
5 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: July 09, 2011, 11:04:37 PM

JCagle

The July contest theme is "Americana" Fireworks, flags, or anything with an American theme is acceptable for this one. If you have any questions about a particular photo feel free to ask or post and ask if it is acceptable. We'll be pretty wide open on this one.  We will accept entries until the 3rd and begin voting on July 4th.

and as always:

All images entered in the contest must be your own images. Any violations of this will be banned from entering the contest for 6 months. Any subsequent violations will receive a minimum of 1 year suspension from the contest. At Jreb we take seriously the rights of photographers, and we strive to protect those rights.

Entries may be watermarked with your name if you desire, but please remove any references to other sites for contest entries.

There will be a theme announced for each month's contest.

All entries must be Norfolk Southern or it's predecessors.

There is no age limit or time frame that the pictures must be from.

Everyone including moderators and administrators may enter the contest.

Each participant is limited to two entries in the contest.

Since the winning image is posted on the main page you must attach the file as a thumbnail. You may post the image in the thread as well if you desire. Attaching the image can be done in the additional options menu above and to the left of the post button.

The deadline for entries will be posted in the theme post each month. Following the deadline a poll is placed in the thread for voting. When the poll is posted the deadline to vote is also posted. The poll will time out at the designated time. The winner is determined by the highest vote total.

In the event of a tie vote there will be a 48 hour run off.

If you have any questions or concerns contact jbcagle7073 via the private messaging feature, or via email at
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

JCagle

knock knock knock anybody home?

tq-07fan

I guess I will start this month out.

1) Richmond Indiana. NS 251 is crossing Eighth Street heading NS South and will pass the former PRR station immediately behind where I am standing. Behind the building to the right of the train and across the Whitewater River bridge was the interlocking plant for Newman where the now abandoned PRR mailine Columbus to Indianapolis (and onto St Louis) split with the Richmond Branch, now NS New Castle District, and completely abandoned the Ridgeway Secondary that would have went toward Michigan. The tower itself was on the Richmond side of the river and possibly visible in this scene before Conrail got out of Richmond Indiana. Here on August 19 2009 patriotic decoration is still out.

2) Camden OH, also on the New Castle Dist was this American crane on November 13 2008. It doesn't get much more American than this, or does it?

Jim

JCagle

Don't forget there is just a couple of days to get your entries in for the contest.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Jreb Mobile powered by Tapatalk.

Matt L

OK, here we go. I fully admit that this entry will push the envelope a little, but I am submitting a rare piece of history. My entry is Tioga Central #506. This Alco started out life as D&H RS3 #4112 in 1952. She was part of the D&H fleet during the Dereco years, when the D&H was owned by the N&W. This would technically make her a former N&W unit, although I will leave final judgement in the hands of the moderator(s).

The locomotive was rebuilt into an RS3m in 1975 and renumbered 1976 for two good reasons. First, the D&H was planning to take over the Apollo/Mercury TOFC trains from LV after C-day and needed all the power it could muster. BTW, this piggyback operation was run jointly with the N&W... and ran on Conrail's Southern Tier Mainline after C-day. (Hint: that's now an NS property.) Second, the D&H was joining many other RRs in celebrating the Bicentennial and repainted two locomotives to mark the historic event. In fact, that paint job saved the RS3m, which was eventually renumbered 506, from the fate of her fellow D&H RS3ms. While the others were scrapped, #506 was purchased by the Tioga Central RR circa 1988. She still runs today... in excursion service on the Tioga Central Service and local freight service of the affiliated Wellsboro & Corning RR. FWIW, the TC/WCOR ROW itself is former Conrail, as well.

OK, I admit this is a bit of a long shot... but where else will you see a Bicentennial locomotive in operation today?  

This is #506 last summer, shortly before I rode behind her on an excursion:

Photo taken by me Saturday 8/21/2011 at Wellsboro Junction, PA.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

mbgphoto79

NS P073 Southbound over I40.  Greensboro, NC 1-20-2009.  Thought we could use a break from the summer heat.  Certainly not July 4th, but very American! 

JCagle

The poll is up and active for 5 days. Good Luck!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk