This and that

Started by Bill Richardson, November 08, 2019, 12:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Richardson

Not much on here any more, but I thought I'd do a little rambling in case it might be of interest.  I don't get many train engine photos these days.  There isn't much of interest to me to aim a camera at.  About all I ever see now are the usual black engines.  In the last few years, up until the last year or so, I used to see other road names, leased engines and/or borrowed (?), and some older black engines of NS.  Seems like about all the older engines have been converted with wide cabs.  I used to see some GP engines sort of frequently, mainly at the Danville, KY yard, either passing through in a train, or parked in the yard.  I made photos of all those I saw.  I'd see one or more at Burnside, KY too, now and then.  I hear trains every day, since I live near the CNO&TP, and now and then I get near the tracks somewhere, mainly  at the Danville yard.  I don't wait long any more, just go to see if anything interesting happens to be there, for a short while.  Now and then I look on Heritag.com and see that something unusual had passed through, but I was not there to "catch" it.  I looked on that website a couple nights ago and saw four BNSF "Warbonnet" engines that had been sighted, in other places, and one "Bluebonnet".  Seems that BNSF is using more of those former Santa Fe engines lately, or maybe it is normal and I just don't know about it.  I have seen one only three times in the last few years, and got photos.  Nice to see those.  I think one of those in that list passed through here.  I need a crystal ball so I can see what is coming.

Back in the summer I was at the Danville yard and met two guys from Germany, who were here on vacation, on a train photo trip.  They were headed to Chattanooga.  Just recently, I went to Kings Mountain, and met two guys from Toronto, Canada.  There are retired railroad guys, who were on a train photo trip, heading toward Chattanooga.  I guess there could be a lot of that, train photo trips.   I'd like to go to a place where there are several big steam engines, and others.  I mean big engines.  The monsters.  That would be interesting.  A place with a lot to see would be nice, even old diesels.

I recently acquired a DSLR, a Canon 5D, with a Canon 24-85mm lens.  My first DSLR.  I've made only a few train photos with it, nothing special.  Here is a cropped photo I made recently, near the Waynesburg crossing.

IMG_7959e---NS-4175 at Waynesburg---cropped--850px--tg by Bill Richardson, on Flickr

I cut out all but the lead engine.  In a recent post, I said I could no longer embed a photo on here, from Flickr.  Somehow, I had missed the BB Code, or didn't use it right, but got that issue solved.

I'm going to try selling prints on Etsy.  My shop name now is "BillsPhotoPrints".  I make a lot of outdoor/nature photos, and will start with a dozen of those, in 8x10 size.  If that does any good, I'll probably add a few railroad photos.

Well, lunch is ready.  Gotta go.  Maybe more later.

E. Hodgson

Looks good rambling is always fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk